Posted on September 13 2018
We pay homage to the wool blanket by breaking free of tradition and designing for lightness yet warmth, practicality and beauty. We celebrate wool as the glorious natural fiber it is, from fine, 100% Merino sheep, bred for centuries for their micron fibers, and warm, soft Merino lambswool and cashmere blends. Sheepherders, small family farms, and generations new and old are devoted to the cultivation of one of nature’s most renewable natural resources: the wool fleece. A real Merino wool blanket has many extraordinary qualities:
1. Wrinkle-free: wool fiber have a molecular coil-spring that springs back to shape naturally; this means wool blankets hold their shape meaning less ironing or fuss.
2. Anti bacterial & anti microbial: wool has a thin coating that inhibits the growth of mold, mildew and bacteria, and keeps fresh without regular washings, unlike synthetics. Just ask Allbirds about their comfy wool shoes. Do not machine wash wool. We dry clean ours 1x year.
3. Flame resistant: wool does not support combustion, which is why wool blankets are recommended for putting out small fires.
4.Magic insulation from heat and cold; Wool is a hygroscopic fiber, and can absorb moisture in vapor form, absorbing of up to 30% of its weight, without feeling wet. Wool also chemically reacts to atmospheric water molecules and generates heat.
5. Renewable resource: sheep fleeces are harvested annually and cause no harm to the sheep
6.Durable and strong: A wool fiber can be bent back on itself more than 20,000 times without breaking, compared to about 3,000 times for cotton and 2,000 times for silk.
7. UV protection: While most people want to keep their blankets on their bed, if you wear yours downtown, you may not need sunscreen. Wool has a natural UV protection factor of 30+